If you’ve been diagnosed with prediabetes, then progression to type 2 diabetes mellitus can be delayed or even prevented by doing some natural life style modifications.We will discuss here 15 proven ways to prevent type2 diabetes mellitus.lets start..
1. LOSING EXTRA WEIGHT (most important to prevent type2 diabetes mellitus)
- Losing weight if you are overweight this can be done by eating healthy diet and doing physical activity.
- Try to lose 5- 7 percent of your body weight if you’re overweight or obese.
- To keep your weight in a healthy range, focus on permanent changes to your eating and exercise habits.
- Although losing even a small amount of weight can help reduce this risk, studies show that the more you lose, the more benefits you’ll experience
- Stubborn fat in and around belly,informally called lovehandles in male are very difficult to get rid of.They increase insulin resistance and fat deposition.
- One study of more than 1,000 people with prediabetes found that for every kilogram (2.2 lbs) of weight participants lost, their risk of diabetes reduced by 16%, up to a maximum reduction of 96%
- Split meals advised to diabetics is seen to work fine in managing diabetes.
- Get at least 150 minutes per week of aerobic exercise (or 30 minutes of physical activity 5 days a week).
- Such as walking or cycling. You can take a brisk daily walk. Ride your bicycle. Swim laps.
- Physical activity have been shown to reduce insulin resistance and blood sugar in overweight, obese and prediabetic adults
- If you can’t fit in a long workout, break it up into smaller sessions spread throughout the day.
- Working out more frequently seems to lead to improvements in insulin response and function.
- If you have not been active, talk with your health care professional about which activities are best. Start slowly to build up to your goal.
- Yoga and meditation also helps in controlling diabetes.
- Especially by keeping stress to minimum.
- Bloodstream and hormones are also kept in balance by regular exercise and meditation.
- In people with diabetes, the body’s cells are resistant to insulin, so glucose remains high in the bloodstream.
- To compensate, the pancreas produces more insulin, attempting to bring blood sugar down to a healthy level.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Eat smaller portions to reduce the amount of calories you eat each day and it help you lose weight.
- Avoid saturated and trans fats and refined carbohydrates,.
4. MEDICATIONS TO PREVENT TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS
- Oral diabetes drugs such as metformin (Glucophage, Glumetza, others) may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes along with the lifestyle modification.
- Metformin is commonly given to patients for weight control.
- -Lowering blood sugar
- -Making insulin more effective
- -It can also help in weight loss. Having a healthy weight can reduce the impact of diabetes
- Ask your health care professional about any medicines that is to be taken.(we donot advise or prescribe any medications,we are just informing and educating people about their health options)
5.AVOID CARBONATED AND SWEETENED DRINKS
- Researchers of one study on the effects of sweet drinks on diabetes stated that neither artificially sweetened beverages nor fruit juice were good beverages for diabetes prevention
- Those who consumed more than two servings of sugar-sweetened beverages per day had a 99% increased risk of developing LADA and a 20% increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Whereas drinking water is beneficial and helps in blood sugar control.
- Smoking is well known for its adverse effects.It causes lung cancer,COPD and its also associated with many other cancers.
- Some studies have shown that quiting smoking has been beneficial in many ways for patients.
- Patients who are diabetics and were smokers showed drastic improvement and control over diabetes after stopping smoking.
7.AVOID SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE TO PREVENT TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS
- Nowadays most of us work in offices.
- Where most work is done sitting, so people spend more than half their day sitting.
- This is sedentary lifestyle.
- If u think your living a sedentary lifestyle than you’re at high risk for diabetes.
- We obviously cant leave our job but we can do some changes to our lifestyle.
- While working we can take small breaks and standup or walk around your cubicle.do some stretching during breaks.
- Also eat healthy at work and not junk food.
- Use stairs instead of lift.
8.INCORPORATE HIGH FIBRE DIET
- Fiber can be divided into two broad categories: soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber absorbs water, whereas insoluble fiber does not.
- In the digestive tract, soluble fiber and water form a gel that slows down the rate at which food is absorbed.
- Rise of glucose amount in blood increases slowly and therefore insulin can work normally and blood sugar is kept in check..
- Insoluble fiber has also been linked to reductions in blood sugar levels and a decreased risk of diabetes
9.AVOID JUNK FOOD
- Junk food like chips,burgers,cookies are associated with health problems, including heart disease, obesity and diabetes.
- Fast food and processed foods have high quantity of bad fats and oils.
- Refined carbs and additives in them lead to obesity in individuals and obesity directly causes diabetes.
- Avoiding packaged,processed and junk food will help you to get rid of many health problems and prevent diabetes.
10.PRACTICE SPLIT MEALS
- Research shows that,eating large meals at once causes steep rise in blood sugar.This results in impaired blood glucose control.
- Studies show split meal helps in better blood glucose control.
- We doctors advise patients to have food every 2 hours in small proportions.
11.AVOID BEERS AND ALCOHOL.
- As doctors we have never advised any individual to drink alcohol as ALCOHOL IS DANGEROUS TO THE ONE DRINKING ASWELL AS HIS FAMILY AND PEOPLE AROUND HIM.
- Alcohol causes a lot more harm then good.
- Alcohol impairs absorption of nutrients in gut.It can cause pancreatitis,which may further lead to scarring of pancreas leading to impaired insulin secretion.
- Alcohol also affects liver adversely leading to liver problems,patient develops ascites,hepatitis,cirrhosis and also cancer.
- Hormonal balance is Disturbed leading to various endocrinal diseases including diabetes.
12.BLOOD PRESSURE CONTROL.
- People having high blood pressure or hypertension are at highest risk of developing diabetes.
- Extra care needs to be taken by them to prevent diabetes.
- Blood pressure control to be maintained normally is around <140/90mm/hg.
- For proper and more accurate personal advice for you,consult your personal registered medical practitioner.
13.CONTROL CHOLESTEROL LEVELS.
- You have two kinds of cholesterol in your blood: LDL(Low density lipoprotein) and HDL(high density lipoprotein).
- LDL or “bad” cholesterol can build up and can get deposited in your blood vessels.This may lead to coronary artery disease(myocardial infarction or heart attack in common terms)
- Too much bad cholesterol can cause a heart attack or stroke.
- HDL or “good” cholesterol helps remove the “bad” cholesterol from your blood vessels.
- HDL is seen to increase by excersing regularly for 30 minutes.
- Controlling cholesterol will help you in having clear bloodstream and will also help in weight control.
- Indirectly helping to prevent diabetes.
14.NATURAL HERBS USED IN AYURVEDA TO PREVENT DIABETES MELLITUS.
- -Gymnema Sylvestre (Gurmar)
- The common name of the herb is Gurmar, which means the sugar crusher.
- The efficacy of Gymnema sylvestre leaves in reducing the blood sugar level has been demonstrated in experimental and clinical studies.
- -Allium sativum(Garlic)
- It has anti oxidant and micro circulatory effects.
- Garlic helps in reduction of blood glucose and slow degradation of insulin.
-Coccinia indica, Morus Indica (Mulberry), Momordica Charantia (Bitter gourd), Trigonella Foenum (Fenugreek) are some other natural remedies for helping in preventing diabetes.though their mechanism of action is unknown it is seen to be useful to prevent diabetes especially type2 diabetes.
15.REGULAR HEALTH CHECKUPS TO PREVENT TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS.
- Any person having parents or siblings with diabetes or other lifestyle disorder should visit doctor for checkup regularly atleast every 6 months.
- As diabetes is preventable disease if care is taken properly.
- Regular BP check, weight or body mass index check ,blood sugar check, hormonal studies(thyroid hormones) is necessary to diagnose or identify risk factors for diabetes early.
- If any parameters are abnormal necessary lifestyle modification or medications can be started to prevent progress to diabetes or other lifestyle disorders.
more reads for you-types of diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus & brittle disease.
more reads for you-Acne(pimple)-cause,types,treatment,prevention