Coronaviruses have long been there causing cattle and other animal diseases but now a recent strain novel coronavirus has caused a massive outbreak in china.
This novel coronavirus is extremely fatal and no definite cure is found yet..
recent stats.7700+ infected,170+ deaths
RECENT POST ON CORONAVIRUS- china new coronavirus outbreak-all latest news & update2020
1.HISTORY OF CORONAVIRUSES
- Coronaviruses were discovered back in 1960s.
- The earliest ones to be discovered were the infectious bronchitis virus in chickens and two viruses from the nasal cavities of human patients with the symptoms of common cold.
INTRODUCTION TO NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
- Coronaviruses are a group of viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds.
- They are known to cause diarrhea in cows and pigs, while in chickens they can cause an upper respiratory disease.
- In humans, the viruses cause respiratory infections which are typically mild including the common cold and rarely can also cause SARS (Severe acute respiratory syndrome ) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome ) which can be lethal.
- There are no vaccines or antiviral drugs that are approved for prevention or treatment.
- The name “coronavirus” is derived from the Latin corona and the Greek κορώνη (korṓnē, “garland, wreath”), meaning crown or halo.
- This refers to the characteristic appearance by electron microscopy, which is due to the projections present on the surface of the virus which appears similar to a royal crown or the solar corona.
- There are seven strains of human coronaviruses:
- Human coronavirus HKU1
2.WUHAN NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
- Several cases of pneumonia in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China were seen in December 2019,it was found to be a viral disease.
- The virus causing the disease was a new type of virus. This raised concern because when a virus is new, we do not know how it affects people and how to treat it.
- On 7 January, Chinese authorities confirmed that they had identified the new virus.
- It is a novel coronavirus –’Novel’ in this case means newly discovered, or newly originated.
- Like the other strains of corona virus this virus also came from animals.
- As it was seen that many of those who were infected either worked or frequently visited in the seafood market, this market also sold live and newly slaughtered animals.
- This new virus was temporarily named “2019-nCoV.”
Till now more than 7,700 people have fallen sick and at least 170 people have died in mainland China.
In addition, there are dozens of confirmed cases in 20 locations outside of mainland China, including at least five in the United States,and India and Philippines reporting their first cases.
The number of total cases worldwide now exceeds 6,000.
- The outbreak raising the specter of a potential global epidemic as authorities desperately try to contain it. Evacuation has already started
- S and Japan and several other countries have started to get their citizens out of Wuhan.
3.SIGNS AND SYMPTOMSOF NOVEL CORONAVIRUS.
Human coronavirus causes upper respiratory tract infection and cause following symptoms
- usually starts with runny nose
- followed by headache and
- sore throat
- a general feeling of being unwell
- Human coronaviruses can sometimes cause lower-respiratory tract illnesses, such as pneumonia or bronchitis. This is more common in people with pre existing diseases like cardiopulmonary disease, and people with weakened immune systems, like infants, and older adults.
In severe cases there can be organ failure.
And can eventually lead to death.
4.TRANSMISSION OF NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
- It is found that this virus was first infecting bats then from bats to snakes and when man ate any products made from infected bat or snake,humans started getting infected.
- It is believed that it is spreading from human to human, and that people can get infected even before symptoms start to develop.
- It is most commonly spread from an infected person to others through the air in the form of small droplets while coughing and sneezing.
- It can also spread by close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands, touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands,
- and very rarely by fecal contamination.
- Measures should be taken to trace down the contacts and identify the new cases and isolating them, this will help interrupt the transmission of the disease.
5.PREVENTION OF NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
The most important question raised now is how to protect ourselves from this virus?
In order to protect ourselves and prevent the coronavirus disease we should take following measures:
6.PERSONAL PROTECTION MEASURES
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If the hands are soiled or look dirty then wash your hands with soap under running water.
- If hands don’t look dirty then wash with soap and water or may use alcohol based hand cleanser.
Wash hands –
-after touching a sick person
-after handling animals
– before and after preparing food
-before eating food
-after using bathroom
– after coughing or sneezing
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- if you wear a face mask then ensure that it is coering the mouth and nose properly.
- do not touch the face mask once it is on, discard the mask after single use and wash hands with soap and water.
- Avoid unprotected contacts with live animals.
7.MEASURES TO TAKE IF YOU ARE SICK
If you have flu like symptoms, you should:
- stay home while you are sick
- avoid close contact with others
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands
- clean and disinfect objects and surfaces
- Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water;
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing seek medical care early and share previous travel history with your health care provider;
8.SAFETY MEASURES WHILE SHOPPING IN A MARKET
- Wash hands with soap and water after visiting any market.
- Avoid contact with sick animals or spoilt meat.
- Avoid contact with stray animals or animal waste in market.
- Wash hands with soap and water after touching any animals or animal products.
9.MEASURES TO BE TAKEN BY THE PEOPLE WORKING IN THE MARKET
- Wear protective gears like gowns, masks, gloves, goggles while handling animal products.
- Wash the protective clothing daily after you leave the market.
- Avoid other people to come in contact with the contaminated work clothing or footwear.
10.PRACTICE FOOD SAFETY
- The consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided.
- Cook meat and eggs thoroughly.
- Raw meat, milk,or animal organs should be handled with care.
- Use different utensils for cooked food and uncooked meat.
- Avoid eating meat of sick animals or animals who have died of disease.
11.MEASURES TO TAKE WHILE TRAVELLING
- Inform the crew and seek medical help immediately if you become sick while travelling.
- Avoid traveling with sick animals.
- Avoid spitting in public.
- Eat well cooked food only.
12.TREATMENT OF NOVEL CORONAVIRUS
Unless you have recently travelled to China or been in contact with someone infected with the virus, then you should treat any cough or cold symptoms.
As There are no specific treatments for coronaviruse. It has to be treated symptomatically that is the symptoms should be treated as follows:
- take cough syrup and fever medicines after consulting a doctor.
- take warm water gargles or lozenges for sore throat and cough.
- stay home and rest
- drink plenty of fluids.
- If you are concerned about your symptoms, you should see your healthcare provider.
- sick ones should be isolated from the general population, so they can’t infect others..
MORE RECENT ARTICLE ON CORONAVIRUS- china new coronavirus outbreak-all latest news & update2020